woensdag 22 oktober 2014

Day 2: Where are the maple leafs?

At Hang Seng Bank in Hong Kong, they used to sell Maple leaf gold coins. But when I asked for those, they said they weren't available. They only had Australian kangaroos from the Perth Mint.

What they also had are these weird 5 tael bars of 0.99 gold. That's around 7 ounces of gold. Gold bars with 1% impurity. They said I shouldn't buy those when taking them back to Belgium as they wouldn't recognize them as gold.

Later on I found out that there were delays of one month to get maple leafs, Perth mint sales and U.S. Mint sales are exploding.

Next on I went to a retail gold shop Luk Fook to look at what they have in store. When I went in, they shoved some golden rings under my nose and I quickly saw the premiums were in the 20%. Not exactly what I was looking for. But you can also buy 1 tael gold rings which have a normal premium of around 5%.

It's amazing how many gold shops there are in Hong Kong. Just walk along and you can buy gold anywhere you go.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten